Jun 08, 2016
“The short road to ruin is to emulate the methods of your adversary.” - Winston Churchill.
Benchmarking. Best Practices. “Competitive Intelligence.” (often an oxymoron anyway) “Competitive Analysis.” All this will tell you where people have been and are - not where they’re going or what the next BIG thing is/will be. Plus, “industry standard” may in fact be thoroughly mediocre, not a good thing to emulate. Your customers can’t tell you the revolutionary BIG thing either - but they can (sometimes) tell you what they want - which may give you some ideas.
Of course, you can’t fly blind and you’ve got to make money now, not bank everything on some future cool idea. However, beware of blithely thinking “follow the dream, the money
Contact Mary Schmidt Today!
- Hitting a Moving Target.
- Markets: Creating or Evolving? Disruptive or Incremental?
- You Mean You Don’t Care What I Had For Lunch?
- Do Good Do Well: The Power of Home
- The “So What” Test for Entrepreneurs
- Brain Food
- Do Good. Do Well.
- Start-Up Sanity Checks
- Mindful Mondays
- Marketing Troubleshooting
- Pet Peeves
- Social Media Reality Checks
- Web Bytes